Monday, June 20, 2011

Visual Thinking Research

This puzzle was done by my girlfriend. Her explanation of how she came to her conclusion was that she simply was able to visualize the rotation of the blocks in her mind till she was able to match up the appropriate pairs. She is an artist and always had a keen eye for detail so it might be possible that her ability to visualize space is what helps her as an artist.
This block puzzle was all about finding the same pattern of blocks and matching them with their equal somewhere on the board. There are 12 images to match up. I realize that all these block patterns are rotated in different positions but because they are relative blocks with defined parts we can perceive it the patterns easier.
This puzzle was my first attempt at the puzzle. I looked at the lines and the squares. I noticed that there had to be some sort of pattern laying in the lines. I noticed that the line was constantly moving and changing shapes so I looked for the option that followed the most logical pattern I could find. I went with C because I thought it followed the pattern which I created in my mind. It was an optical illusion that I had created in my mind by looking for something that wasn't there.


This was a very difficult puzzle for me. I first started off by noticing the obvious things first such as the basic shapes and tried to notice if the color played any part of the puzzle. Then I started fixating on the lines in the squares to see what patterns they seem to follow. This was the hardest part of the puzzle for me now because nothing popped out at me initially. I began looking at the options as if I already had a predetermined idea in mind which actually made it a bit harder because I was looking at the puzzle somewhat close-minded. I started looking at just parts of the squares as if the were separated pieces laying over other pieces the answer randomly jumped out at me as if I had seen in the entire time. The puzzle and the pattern is numerical and basic, 1, 2, 3, 4, and the answer is 5. If you eliminate the left half of the squares it is easier to see the answer.





No comments:

Post a Comment